Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My name is Mel and damn proud of it

Sometimes I am asked this kind of question:
Mel, why is your name so un-malay-ish? Why must you be named Mel?

My simple answer will be: Apasal? Tak boleh ke? hilang nyawa ke dengan nama I?
(Why cant I be named like that? Are you losing your life upon hearing my name?)

My mum gave me that name because she kinda love the character from the drama series Little House of Prairie played by Melissa Gilbert named Laura Ingalls. Then why shouldnt i be named Laura instead? Hello, being given the existing name pun orang dah kepoh bertanya, why should i be named Laura?

So my name is un-Malay-ish. So should i be deemed as very much unmalay? That is what the signals that i have been given on for these past few days. Is Mohamed a malay name? It's arabic for goodness sake but are we questioning on that name Mohamed? No, we arent.

Please dont question my malay-ness or my muslim faith. My name may not sound Malay or is a muslim name but I am the children of Allah. It breaks my heart when you people question me these question. Heck, one of you even asked me why i do not want to wear a hijab. Its DO NOT WANT instead of WHY am I not wearing a hijab. Those are 2 different questions with 2 different meaning. Let me answer this question with Allah. I know where i stand. It's better than wearing a hijab but at the same time you talked bad about me behind my back. If you do that, the sins arised are within you, me and Allah. Double whammy! Enough said!

I am trying to become a better muslim by trying to pray and perform my muslim duties. I even am trying to cut down on my swearing. Dude, there has been no better replacement for the word FAKK as you have heard it now. It has been replaced by Fish, Fish Curry or Fakistan (it should start with a P though). Damnation dude, me is a mother of 2 now. I even taught my daughter to never to use the word stupid or bodoh, and she listens!

Please, let my name be as it is. It was given by my mother.. If you insult it, you insult my mother. If you wanna insult me please do, but dont go around running and crying when a size 9 shoe landed on your face. That's the consequences of being too-holier-than-thou.

No comments:

Post a Comment